Well-known local entrepreneur Dr. Assem Allam was the keynote speaker at the recent business start-up advice seminar organised by Humberside Chartered Accountants. I attended to represent the Business Advice Group.
The event was fully booked with around 50 local business owners attending.
We all found what he had to say fascinating – his main observations were:
1. Stick to your business plan if you really believe in it – don’t get deflected.
2. Concentrate on getting the lowest break-even point you can – so that you have more “insulation” if times get tough!
3. Understand what you are good at – and concentrate on this.
4. Only embark on a business venture if you can see a way out at the end of it.
1. The football talk stays on or just around the pitch – the boardroom is for business only – no football!
2. This has allowed Dr. Allam to get the team into the Premiership without spending beyond the club’s means.
3. He confided to us all, that he is not a “football person” – but he is interested in putting something back into the community that has helped him grow his own business!
1. Contrary to much popular belief he is firmly of the opinion that we produce a lot of high quality “youngsters”. His ethos is to train school leavers and some graduates both for the shop-floor and the office. With proper training and supervision he produces some loyal, excellent employees, he believes.
(Quite where this leaves us “oldies” I am not sure?!)
In common parlance – the man has been there, done it and got the t-shirt!!
We all need to continue listening and learning from experienced business people such as Dr. Allam.
Contact us now for a free consultation so you can find out face-to-face what we can do. There’s no obligation, just a friendly discussion and some genuinely useful ideas to help your business thrive in the current climate.
"helping to make your business stand out from the crowd"
Copyright © 2013 EYBS